Matt 4:19 Follow me and I will make you fishers of men.
If I am a follower of Christ, I am a fisher of men. That is my identity. Forgive me Lord, but I must admit that so often I have failed.
How about you dear Reader? When was the last time you went fishing? For souls, I mean. Oh yes, we have always prayed for souls to be saved, and often we have invited others to go with us to church. But have we ever went fishing for the lost? I can almost hear your answer. “But I don’t know how to fish!”
Well, perk up, fellow pilgrim. This inspiration is just for you. I call it FRIENDSHIP EVANGELISM.
Did you know that fishing for men is much like fishing for fish. Here’s what we need for both.
1.We need to wear the right clothing. 1 Peter 5:5.
2. We must have the proper gear: beginning with the pole of the ABC’s of salvation. (See below.) Our line is our own testimony. What God has done in our lives. Our hook is the Holy Spirit, the Power on earth who hooks and draws souls to Jesus. Our bait is a personal relationship with Jesus. We open the door and let Him in. Revelation 3:20.
3. We must go where the fish are. Luke 14:23
4. We must offer the fish our bait. Talk about your personal relationship with Jesus.
5. Be patient. It takes time to catch fish. Let him nibble and if he likes what he tastes he’ll swallow the bait.
6. Reel him in slowly. Don’t let him off the hook. Prayer will keep the Holy Spirit working to keep that hook in his mouth. John 6:63
7. Clean them up? Sorry, this is God’s job. He is the only one qualified to do so. John 16:7-11.
8. Keep spending time with them, bring them to church, listen to them and pray with them and for them.
“But I’m not sure I can do that!” you may say. Yes you can. Acts 1:8 says, “You will receive power after the Holy Spirit has come upon you and you will be my witnesses.”
So now that you are equipped to be a fisher of men, let’s get started. Begin by asking God to send someone across your path who needs to know Him. Pray that you will know when that person comes into your life.
Beloved, lost souls are dying moment by moment, so come join me and let’s go catch some fish before it’s too late!!
ABC’s of Salvation: Admit, Believe, Confess: Romans 3: 23, Romans 3:26, Romans 10:9-10, 1John 1:9, John 3:16. –Rebecca Somoskey